June 11, 2016

Day 28 - Hikers Remorse ; Rod

The one thing I wish I could change about this game is the lack of exercise. I knew going in that not being able to hike much or play tennis or even go for long walks was going to be (I hoped) the primary difficulty. I've been dreaming of doing this trip for most of my adult life, so having the opportunity to actually make it happen, I figured I would just have to suck it up and enjoy/endure something sedentary for a change.

So here I sit, tucked into a majestic bay on Banks Island. We're far removed from civilization. There are steep, wooded, virgin slopes, flowing down from the mountain tops to the waterline, with rocky, kelp-slick muddy shores. The sky is blue and the weather is perfect.

And there's not a trail, or even a place to walk for miles. So I sit, read, workout, write a bit, enjoy my surroundings, and think what might be done differently next time.

I can start earlier (than mid-May), or go later than the end of August so there is time to fly home more often - or fly somewhere else, do something else.

Go for shorter trips. Having knocked this off my bucket list, I can move on to other things: a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island will take half the time and leave plenty for other things, more exercise.

Also trips south will be less environmentally challenging - more trails, friendlier beaches, warmer water, feasible swimming. I've been surprised by how few people there are out here doing this trip. We go for days without seeing another recreational vessel. Maybe I shouldn't be. As much as I'm enjoying it, full time cruising in on the BC coast and SE Alaska is not for the athletically inclined.

I'm ok with that. We don't have to like everything about the things that motivate us. We can learn from our experiences and let them guide us toward the things we do in turn. As for this trip at this time, I wouldn't change a thing. Fewer trails mean fewer people and that's part of the appeal of this area, even if I do need a good workout. We're in Prince Rupert tomorrow so I think I'll get one.

1 comment:

  1. Its a rainy Sunday morning in Vermont and I am finally getting a chance to read through some of your adventures on sv quite. Quite a good read! As with all great adventures worth while, there seem to be moments of excitement and discomfort, moments of serenity and reflection, and moments of boredom. A fine mixture, and I am envious of the adventure you all have at hand. Keep posting, its a fantastic log. Wishing you all fair weather. Diantha

    ReplyDelete