August 11, 2016

Day 82 - Snubbed

We're in Captain Cove tonight, an anchorage we blew by on our way north. Today we're covering ground at a more leisurely pace. We're on our first day out with Wendy and Jerry after saying sad farewells to Tina, Sue and Tom.

After a late start, we enjoyed a sunny, windy day. The winds were even blowing in the right direction. We hoisted sails and flew south from Prince Rupert, out of Chatham Sound, and through Arthur Passage into our own slice of tranquility.

If I had to coin a nickname for this cove, I'd call it Hummingbird Bay. Shortly after arriving, we ran through our anchoring and snubbing procedure with Wendy and Jerry. We set our anchor with a four to one scope, then rigged a snubber to take the strain off the the windlass and to dampen the chain noise if it drags back and forth on the sea bottom.

With the snubber set, we were standing on the foredeck chatting, when a hummingbird swooped in, probably attracted by my bright red jacket. It hovered a foot from my face and we stared at each other eye to eye for a moment. He was clearly wondering what kind of huge red flower I could be and I was wondering if I was about to lose an eye to that long, needle sharp beak. Finally the spell was broken with his deciding I didn't smell as good as I looked. We moved on, each attending to our need for sustenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment